What is a Non-Degree Student?

student and advisorA non-degree student is a student not currently enrolled in a degree program.Non-degree status is typically used for students that: have applied for admission to UMaine and are waiting to be admitted wish to enroll in a course for personal or professional growth have already earned a degree but would like to continue their education with coursework are considering applying into a degree program in the future and would like to try a few courses beforehand.

Undergraduate course options are available on the University of Maine Undergraduate Catalog website: catalog.umaine.edu

Interested in a Course?

Students with a high school diploma may download and complete a registration form. The completed form may be submitted on site, emailed to nancy.bergerson@maine.edu, or faxed to 207.338.8013.

Students may also pick up a registration form at the Hutchinson Center at 80 Belmont Ave Belfast. Students too busy or too far away to come to the campus may register by phone by calling 207.338.8049 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday Friday.

REGISTER EARLY to ensure that a place will be available in the selected course(s).

Note: If the course you wish to take requires a prerequisite, you must submit a transcript with evidence that you have completed the requirement.

Get Advice

Not sure what program of study is right for you? In order to best serve non-degree students, an advising appointment is recommended to discuss goals and answer questions. For specific questions or to make an appointment with an academic advisor, contact Tiffany Peterson at tiffany.peterson@maine.edu; 207.581.3151.

Transition to Degree Program

Undergraduate non-degree students interested in changing to degree status must submit an application at: go.umaine.edu/apply. Undergraduate non-degree students are strongly encouraged to transition into a degree program

Financial Assistance

Non-degree seeking students are prohibited by federal regulations from receiving federal financial assistance. However, scholarships are available to qualifying students to cover part or all of the cost of tuition. Financial counseling is also available through the Maine Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC), which is a federal education initiative established to promote access to post-secondary education for traditionally underrepresented adult populations within the State of Maine: meoc.maine.edu.